Hiking the Uintas Tallest Mountain

· Posted in

It was late summer 2007, end of August actually. The morning started quite early, ahead of when sundown in quiet little capital of scotland- Springville - Utah. Here is the plan was quite bold: Drive to Henry's Fork trailhead in Wyoming, hike Kings Peak and return home in one day and all alone. We are 50 instead of extraordinarily active, but decent good reputation for rock climbs and hikes when much younger than now. I had created never visited the Henry's Fork or Uintas before. The trip was planned by digging info from posts everywhere over the internet. I used to be well aware that a majority of people achieved it at leisure in 3 days and the record breaking speed was at 11.5 hours by some mountain runners. That becomes my flag point to estimate my own schedule for that hike.

Driving was straight forward, except i had to spend three hours rather than anticipated 2. Back roads after departing highway were a bit confusing for signs were missing on the forks. Finally at 7:30 am I arrived at fairly occupied parking at Henry's. Parked my car in the farthest edge, wear my hiking boots once again checked inventory of my backpack. It was reduced to bare minimum along with case of overnight remain in wilderness my accommodation will be pretty primitive. The most crucial was water of ¾ gallon, then 4 granola bars, two apples and invaluable GPS (Garmin e-Trex, it helped a lot later at descent!), large hunting knife, matches along with a headlamp. To protect from rain and wind I packed light, durable waterproof jacket. I used to be positive so it was absolutely minimum and was certain about my survival at any scenario. Well, I did done many lone trips, climbs or hikes before to make sure my safety from elements and wilderness with this simple enough hike, though lengthy. A proven way trip takes some 17 miles not counting elevation gain.


The hike started sharp at 8:00 am and lead via an easily sloped path through forest within the western bank of any little river. I only met once hikers descending from Dollar Lake area. This part was scenic with occasional glimpses at distant King's summit, quite insignificant out of this perspective. Weather was cooperating but like forever in the lake it could be very deceptive early in the morning. Summer heat was collecting, but altitude gain was compensating because of it at least in part. Sometime at 10 am I'd reached the tip of forest and reached the advantage of large, clear flats where trail crossed the creek to the left as well as the first, unobstructed view of all peaks converging to Kings were clearly visible. Passing by Dollar Lake, and seeing Kings quite "close" I could truthfully not believe some folks descending after they said: "It can be some 5 hours clear of here to achieve the summit". I seriously thought they're wrong and believed it can be more like a couple of hours towards the summit. Now, below final ascent to Gunsight Pass, the place that the trail just begun to climb more steeply, I made the decision to deposit remaining water to get taken in route down. My estimation of 2 hours from the summit ended in taking only half a liter of water beside me. It was an important mistake, as I did not expect the trail to drop down significantly past the Gunsight Pass. I'd been considering to ascent through Anderson Pass, but dropped that idea after brief go through the way the Anderson Pass gulley looks like, it turned out simply a steep pile of rubble, waiting to tumble down.

Well, as later throughout the day my decisions had re-evaluated my options I could say seeing that it's not badly the way it looks and certainly the ascent through Anderson Pass would cut some couple of hours from the total time. Nevertheless, now on my way up I took Gunsight Pass as my only choice. The trail was winding gently and that i reached the Pass effortlessly. The view was so breathtaking on the medial side. Mountain ranges separated by meadows with tiny lakes. The Pass is just like a low saddle below two rather tall gently sloping mountains. Unhealthy thing would have been a view of quite sharply descending trail that had been purported to bring about Kings Peak. I took some time to look at prospects for traversing the South Slopes from the mountain around the west side in the Pass. I even had tried some hundred yards about, before quitting for straightforward reason: it was too unstable to grant fairly fast pace. Regretting this but having no other choice I started descending lower reducing and... lower. With everything down having more and more respect to what I'd been told on the other hand from the ridge: It will require forever to regain altitude loss from your Pass going finally approximately the summit. It absolutely was much warmer on these southerly exposed slopes and I did start to ration my water. The time was somewhere closing to at least one pm. My primary want to attain the peak at no later than 2 pm, was without a doubt looking impossible now.

I met a number of people descending and after short conversation they confirmed approximate timing to reach the peak from this level. I sensed some concern in their voices as i mentioned that I started a similar morning from Henry's Fork trailhead. They were just hiking from the Dollar Lake and returning to identical point today. While continuing ascent I became weighting choice quit. It was still pending to the stage while i involved to succeed in Anderson Pass. The next thunderstorm was still being fine so no less than from Nature I didnrrrt get boost to give up. Therefore i continued ascent while feeling more and more exhausted by right through the day, continuous hike. I passed the Anderson Give its southern edge. It is very large and spacious formation, and had ascended small saddle from the northern ridge of Kings. There have been several people resting there. A lot of them along the way down and the time was at about 3pm. Here I was able to get fading cell signal first since start and call the place to find say where am I and what are my plans. Reaching this saddle and acknowledge that the descent would pose no problems I decided to keep the climb through meander of large boulders towards the nearing summit. It absolutely was shortly before 4 pm as i put my feet for the highest point of Kings Peak, being also the biggest part of Utah. There was US flag there along with a magnificent view all about to countless peaks and ridges. I knew i always will need to make really fast descent to reach my kick off point in reasonable time. Along the way down I was constantly thinking of alternative route: Anderson Pass descent. I knew it would shorten my descent specifically in the phrase of avoiding altitude loss and tiresome ascent back to Gunsight Pass. I turned away on the trail and approached Anderson Pass. There was a few people discussing their choices to descend it. Having no much time to waste, despite apparent and obvious unsafe and unpleasant view of gulley stuffed with loose boulders, rocks and gravel, I started descending down toward the valley. Rrt had been steep, slippery and required constant monitoring for falling rocks especially after my descent encouraged previously hesitating visitors to follow my steps.

My water system was already gone halfway through Anderson's Pass descent. Little lakes below were promising some water... whether it was obviously a spring providing them with food. My water depot was at the trail leading to Gunsight Pass and i also had it marked on my Garmin GPS. It absolutely was very smart in support of now I possibly could fully enjoy it. My strength was dissipating fairly fast with o water to replenish loss over last 2-3 hours. Not surprisingly, water inside the lakes has not been looking positive to risk a sip. Staying on a single altitude I began traversing north slopes easterly toward my water treasure. I did finally reached it and after gulping down one bottle of Gatorade, I began to feel my strength returning nearly entirely. I knew, the descent will be another 3-4 hours and it also was already getting late. Without further delays I began fast descent. Around 8 pm, while already in the woods it begun to get dark. I put on my head lamp - LED (white or red wine light). It provided enough light to find out few steps ahead. Without the need of more surprises I reached parking area and dragged slowly myself into my car. The hike was over and done. It took me 13 hours even. I remarked that in any other case the Anderson Pass descent We would be still about the trail somewhere.

Interestingly, there may be ongoing discussion which of two Kings Peak summits is taller. Commonly, northern peak is assumed taller. While sitting on the top there, Used to examine visually southern summit: It truly is hard to judge, nonetheless it was quite impressive, more eroded however. I needed seen some Internet discussions, speaking about modern, satellite elevation measurements where there were some recommendations placing southern summit as taller. This might be truly academically signiffican discussion since the whole hike will be the heart with the experienced beauty, probably none or two meters of disputed "crown of jewel". Make me aware what you consider, relating to this short article? I am preparing a lot more from other places.

If you plan similar hike, or even in fact any high mountain hike and want any advice or have questions, send me e-mail or use the contact page. Do you liked this little story. Photos from that trip are be posted in Galleries section.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.